Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Food sensitivities

I'm struggling to find information on what is included in "citrus". There's a ton of information on wheat and wheat gluten out there. But there is nothing about citrus, that I have seen, except for "don't introduce your child to citrus foods until at least 12 months". In my definition of citrus, I've included strawberries, lemons, limes, pineapples, oranges, nectarines, grapefruits, and the other "typical" citrus fruits. I've also eliminated citric acid. Many times it is created from corn, but it's also made from pineapple. The source isn't specified on the label, so it's easier to cut it all out. Well, not easier, but it's definitely better on my body.

I haven't been able to find information on substitutions, either. Citrus (lemon & lime in particular) is used a lot in seafood recipes. I don't know what I can use instead of lemon juice or lime juice. Is there anything that can be substituted? Citrus breaks down the protein in the fish. I guess sugar does the same thing. I'm wondering if I can use a sugar water flavored with something instead of lemon or lime juice. Unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to go through a lot of trial and error to get this figured out.

I'm very depressed about having to eliminate wheat (citrus, too, but I'm getting over it). I know that I feel a million times better when I don't eat wheat. And I'm making progress on that front. Yesterday, I really wanted an Auntie Anne's pretzel. I figured that I could just restart my elimination today instead of yesterday. But I knew I would feel horrible, so I didn't get it. Go me.

No comments: